If your browser supports Refresh, you'll be transported to our new home in 5 seconds, otherwise, select the link manually. Thank you

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

What I Did When I Couldn't Write

Some days I'll do anything to avoid writing. The truth is, after three weeks of constant work on Lifetips and a few other things, my brain is begging for a rest. Of course, when you work at home, there's always something to be done. So instead of beating myself up about how little writing I was actually doing, I did a few jobs I've been putting off for a while.

Website Update

The first job was to update doublehdesign.com. I only did it a few months ago, but I was running into all kinds of problems with getting all the content on the page without it looking cluttered. The new template (which I have used with the author's permission) is source-ordered (that means the central column is the first one seen by search engines) and standards-compliant-ish (apart from some script). I like the coloured boxes, which make it easy for me to highlight different things. Anyway, it took me a few hours to transfer all the content from the old site to the new template and update a few pages at the same time. There has to be an easier way to do this, but I would probably have to start from scratch and configure a content management system on my server.

Freelance Writing Profile

The second job was to sign up with IFreelance. This was recommended to me by gracepub, so I decided to try it. Here's my freelance profile.

Freelance Writing Lens

Finally, as I was on a roll, I decided to create a new Squidoo lens to collect all my writing stuff. It's called Freelance Writing Inspiration. There are still a few things to add to it, (such as a link to my ebook) but it's more or less done.

Dealing With The Paper

I've got one more job still to do - and it's one I always put off - the filing. I can't avoid it any longer, though, or I'll drown in paper. Actually, some of it isn't filing, but sorting and throwing away. I've got to take the addresses off junk mail from banks and insurance companies and put those through the shredder. The rest of those letters can go into the recycling bin. I can make notes of numbers and addresses and throw out even more paper. Once I've done all that, the filing should only take a few minutes. And who knows, by then I might feel like writing again.

How do you fill the time when you're not writing?

No comments: