If your browser supports Refresh, you'll be transported to our new home in 5 seconds, otherwise, select the link manually. Thank you

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Are Writers Selfish?

I lay in bed this morning, waiting for my daughter to go downstairs with her granny so I could go to my computer. This is not unusual, at least at weekends. Most other days I get up and play, or help her get dressed, or brush her hair or whatever, but I have to confess that sometimes when I'm doing that I'm thinking of the next deadline or writing task.

The trouble is, I get obsessed with my writing and blogging. It doesn't matter what the subject is, either. Whether I'm writing on writing, video chat or another project, I start to focus on the project to the exclusion of almost everything else. I don't hear when people speak to me. I'm in a world of my own. When the writing is going well I forget to eat, drink, even go to the bathroom. I know this is not healthy, that I'm risking RSI, carpal tunnel syndrome and, worst of all, a fat behind, but when I'm writing I really don't care.

Here's what my family say when I'm writing:
Daughter: 'When you've finished your email, can we play, pleeeease?' (in plaintive tones)
Hubby: 'Go back to your computer if you have to' (in long suffering tones)
My mum: 'If you have to work, get it out of the way so you can focus on something else' (I knew I loved her for a reason).

So I've been asking myself - am I focused or am I selfish? I hate being interrupted when I'm writing. I have to really force myself not to sound grumpy. But interruptions are part of the life of a WAHM, so sometimes I just shut down my computer, sigh and go off to play.

I would write all the time if I could. The trouble is, I also want to play with my daughter, spend time with my husband, see my friends. It's a shame I have to choose. I bet I'm not the only one who gets obsessed with writing and gets flak from her family. What are you like when you are writing?

No comments: