If your browser supports Refresh, you'll be transported to our new home in 5 seconds, otherwise, select the link manually. Thank you

Friday, June 23, 2006

Sometimes You Can Be Too Successful

Yesterday I took some time off from writing and went to the seaside with two friends and our five children. This is one of the pleasures of being a WAHM. This was something we'd planned for a couple of months, deliberately waiting till June so we could be sure of decent weather. The weather was good, the outward trip went well and a good time was had by all, apart from the occasional sandblasting in the high winds. So, why am I complaining?

An email came in the night before (11.29pm!) awarding me a job I'd applied for. The catch was, that I had to have it completed in two working days. This would normally be fine, but I was going to lose one working day while I was out having a good time with my daughter. I didn't panic, figuring we'd be home before bedtime and I'd have several hours to work on it.

Well, wouldn't you know it? The train from Skegness was late, so we missed our connection. Rather than wait 45 minutes for the next train to our nearest station, we hopped on one that went to another nearby station, driven by the impetus of tired and increasingly tearful children. So we were an hour and a half later getting home than we expected and I was two hours later to start work than I thought I would be. And I was tired, too. Night time is not my best writing time.

So I'm really pleased I got the job, but really sorry it wasn't awarded on Saturday or Sunday instead. Oh well, that's the life of a freelance writer. Sometimes you have to write even when you don't feel like it. I'm not going to make the same mistake as last time, though. I've written the stuff at night, but I'll go through it with a fine toothed comb before I send it. After all, I'd like to get repeat work from this editor, so I'd better do a professional job.

No comments: