If your browser supports Refresh, you'll be transported to our new home in 5 seconds, otherwise, select the link manually. Thank you

Monday, January 9, 2006

Blogging and Creativity

I have never been so creative. Since I started blogging here three weeks ago, I’m always thinking of ideas for new posts, usually at two in the morning. Why is that?

Part of the reason is that blogging frees me from the dictates of an editor’s commission. In other words, I can write what I like, within reason. This doesn’t (for me, at least) mean extended rants, although I’ve enjoyed reading some of the rants published here.

Blogging is also a good way of testing ideas – sharing the stuff that you think about with others and getting their feedback – sort of like an online editorial or features meeting. This is a key part of offline publishing and I think it lends a lot to online publishing as well. Again, that doesn’t mean I don’t think about what I post. I tend to agree with others that a bit of thought is in order before opening your online mouth.

The learning that I’m doing here is keeping my mind active and stimulating me to ever more creative thought. I’m not making grand claims. Some of the ideas have been for improvements to my website; others have been ideas for posts; still others for work that I might publish offline.

For me, this is the continuation of a process that started when I decided to devote all of my working time (currently half the week) to writing, and I’m loving it.

How has your blogging life affected your other life?

No comments: